For students considering playing college sports, the College Counseling department presented an evening session on athletic eligibility and NCAA requirements. Here are Mr. Gunn’s top six takeaways:
- The NCAA requires student athletes who plan to play for Division 1 or 2 schools to register with the Eligibility Center at https://web3.ncaa.org/ecwr3/.
- Students must achieve a sufficiently high NCAA core GPA and ACT points total as well as prove amateur status in order to become eligible for collegiate athletics.
- Core GPAs are determined from a school-specific list of NCAA core courses; ACT points totals are the sum of all four sections on the student’s ACT.
- Students should register for the Eligibility Center after junior year and must prove amateur status after April 1 of their senior year.
- Transcripts must be sent to the Eligibility Center via Naviance, and test scores from https://www.act.org/content/act/en/products-and-services/the-act.html. The NCAA test code is 9999.
- Students with questions should contact their college counselor for assistance!