“I think I genuinely felt all emotions on this trip as I met my Peruvian family, went to a Peruvian Jesuit School, and got to know the land. I felt solidarity after seeing a lot need around both countries.”
—Teddy Delker ‘19, Peru
The world is our house.
In the late 1500s, Jerome Nadal S. J. expressed this, and today, we share the same vision and mission as the founding Jesuits before us.
Peru Exchange Trip
February and June 2019
March and April 2019
Spain, France, and pilgrimage Ignatian sites
- Requirements to Earn Global Education Certificate
- Global Engagement Courses
- Global Education Resource Board for Current Spartans
In the late 1500s, a beloved Jesuit by the name of Jerome Nadal, S. J. proclaimed that for Jesuits and their apostolic works, “the world is our house.” Global Education Certificate recipients will be testament to a shared vision and mission like our founding Jesuits before us.
The Global Education Certificate is set to empower students from their earliest career stage at De Smet Jesuit to pursue an expansion of their world view of global issues and experiences, and to allow our men for others the opportunity to see this world and those issues with an investigative eye focusing on communication, innovation, resource responsibility, and ethical stewardship. The certificate will be given to extraordinary seniors each year upon the completion of requirements.
Students who wish to pursue the Global Education Certificate should identify themselves to the Global Education Center as early in their De Smet Jesuit career as possible, but no later than the first semester of senior year. The Global Education Center, along with the assistant principal for academics, will assist students in completing the Global Education Certificate path, creating an academic plan, extracurricular activities, the student’s off-campus experience, and a presentation/project/paper requirement to facilitate earning the award.
- World language study through the fourth level. At least three courses (a minimum of three credits) to be selected from the global engagement list of approved courses indicated below.
- Significant and ongoing contribution to one of the school’s extracurricular groups (e.g., Latin club, Multicultural Awareness Club, Campus Ministry, Model UN, social justice, Spanish club, Asia club).
- An off-campus global experience program, sponsored by De Smet Jesuit. Approved individual programs may also receive credit.
- An inclusive presentation and college paper is required upon certification completion.
(student must complete a minimum of 3)
Public Speaking (I)
English 4: ACC Irish Literature (1)
English 4: Literary Analysis of Storytelling (1)
Public Speaking (1)
ACC Honors International Studies* (1)
ACC Honors Modern European History* (1)
Ignatian Vision (1)
*Indicates courses that are offered for college credit as either AP, 1818 ACC, or ACP