Skip To Main Content

History of De Smet Jesuit

Classes at De Smet Jesuit High School began on September 5, 1967.  As the values of the Jesuit mission came to life in the halls, teachers, staff and community supporters rallied around the school's mission to build character and nurture the culture of brotherhood.  This mission has continued for more than 50 years and continues to be shown in the life of each student, teacher, and family that passes through these halls.

  • 1/30/1801
  • Birth of Fr. Pierre Jean de Smet

Born in Termande, Belgium

Cursor
  • 5/5/1966
  • Groundbreaking for De Smet Jesuit

by Rev. Gerald R. Sheehan S.J., Very Rev. Linus J. Thro S.J., Rev. Gregory Jacobsmeyer S.J. and Very Rev. John C. Choppesky S.J

Cursor
  • 9/5/1967
  • 1st Day of Classes

245 Freshmen

Cursor
  • 1971
  • 1st graduating class of De Smet Jesuit

Henry Autrey is the first graduate of De Smet Jesuit and currently is a Federal Judge for the Eastern District of Missouri

Cursor
  • 1984
  • Student Activities Wing & Emerson Lobby

The construction of the Student Activities Wing added a commons area with recreational and study areas, wrestling practice room, sound-proof music room and new coaching offices.

Cursor
  • 11/5/1985
  • Blessing of the Chapel by Archbishop May

dedicated to all the Jesuit saints

Cursor
  • 1987
  • 1st Spartanfest held without the Carnival

Carnival had been held each year since 1967

Cursor
  • 1988-1989
  • 1st student of an alum begins at De Smet Jesuit
Cursor
  • 9/1/1991
  • 1st football game under the lights
Cursor
  • 9/28/1996
  • Opening of the Thomas Hunter Theater
Cursor
  • 2000
  • 1st Christmas on Campus held

hosted young people from St. Mathew's Parish

Cursor
  • 2002
  • DURT is founded to become 1st Robotics team in St. Louis

founded by De Smet Jesuit and Ursuline Academy

Cursor
  • 2003
  • Web Design Course offered

which marked the beginning of a focus toward creating more advanced tech-driven curriculum

Cursor
  • 2014
  • Mass of the Holy Spirit celebrated at Chaifetz Arena

De Smet Jesuit joins students from SLU, SLUH, & Loyola Academy

Cursor

Significant Events at DSJ

Emerson Lobby & Student Commons Built

June 15, 1984

The Emerson side of the school is transformed as the lobby & student commons is built and opens up to give students gathering space.

Original Mortgage burned

February 1, 1980

Fr. Gregory Jacobsmeyer, S.J., De Smet’s first president, and Fr. Thomas McQueeny, the current president, burn De Smet’s mortgage in front of 400 friends during the annual Pierre De Smet dinner.

Mission Week

March 25-29, 1974

The Student Advisory Board sponsors the first De Smet Mission Week. Activities included Ugly Man, kite-flying, Twinkie eating contests and more. De Smet donates the $1800 raised to the Yoro Mission in British Honduras and Saint Stephen Mission in Wyoming.

Student Advisory Board

Fall 1973

Students form the Advisory Board of De Smet with 52 members representing students, parents, and faculty. This governing body is a precursor to Student Government (StuGo).

Fun Memories of DSJ

Memories of Mr. Luecke and Mr. Hawkey