Safety and Security
De Smet Jesuit High School is committed to creating safe and caring environment for all students, employees, parents and visitors. The Board of Trustees, De Smet Jesuit administration and staff are working together to implement proven “best practices” in school safety that help ensure the physical and psychological safety of our students and staff.
De Smet Jesuit High School:
- Has a comprehensive Emergency Response Plan and Crisis Management Guide that is updated annually.
- Has appointed members of the Faculty and Staff to a Safety Committee who meet monthly to discuss and review the campus safety plan and procedures for both psychological and physical safety and oversees the school's crisis response plans.
- Provides National Incident Management System training (Nims) training for members of the Safety Committee.
- Employs the Incident Command System Model suggested by Homeland Security to deal with emergency situations. Has established an incident commander for all emergency situations.
- Locks all outside doors to the school building during school hours.
- Has installed an entry buzz-in door and panic button in the main Office that immediately contacts the Creve Coeur Police Department in the Main Office in the event of an emergency.
- Conducts school safety assessments with the assistance of the Creve Coeur Police Department, and Fire Departments.
- Met with representatives from the Creve Coeur Police and Fire Department for a tabletop discussion to talk about various emergency scenarios and delineate each other’s roles in dealing with the event.
- Has established Standard Rally Point and Reunification Procedure in the case of a major catastrophe.
- Conducts regular all-hazard drills with students and employees throughout the school year. Developed an Intruder Procedures PowerPoint and quiz that was presented to the students to keep students aware of emergency procedures in the event of an intruder.
- Is developing a multi-year plan that prioritizes future campus safety improvements. For example, installing interior and exterior security cameras at various entry points to the school building, installing phones in each classroom, and providing door card entry system.
- Is committed to the implementation of data-proven safety prevention programs.
- Has a Memorandum of Understanding with the City of Creve Coeur in the event of student evacuation.
- Has five AED’s available in case of a medical emergency. At least one on each floor of the school and one in the Chapel Conference Room
- Had In-service 4E Active Shooter Intruder Training for all faculty /staff members.
- Has installed First Aid Kits in every classroom and most offices.
- Has developed Emergency Procedure Posters that also act as covers for windows on classroom doors in case of an intruder.
- Will initiate the CrisisGo App in the fall of 2016 to help organize and deal with emergency situations.
- Has established two GoBoxes that contain valuable information necessary in the case of an emergency.
- Has prepared two Blood Spill Kits to help clean up possible contaminated blood.